Plain Kate
Touch Blue
Extraordinary
Three Quarters Dead
Birthmarked
Radiance
Grace
Brown Rabbit in the City
Cosmic
Girl Parts
One Crazy Summer
Clementine, Friend of the Week
Linger
The Birthday Ball
Runaway
Scarlett Fever
The Monstrumologist
Punkzilla
The Irresistible Henry House
A Wrinkle in Time


Kristen's favorite books »

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week 2 - Delicious

How happy am I that Delicious took all the extra periods out of their name? Very. How happy am I that I finally have a solution to making Delicious work for us? Even more so.

My problem with Delicious has always been that throughout the course of the day I could be on any one of four computers - and so could 6 other people. So how do you use Delicious easily when you have to log in and out constantly?

I just tried setting up an account that could be used on our public service desk to access the sites we use regularly. It sent me on a wild goose chase of logging in and out of Yahoo and Delicious. One of my biggest pet peeves is having to link accounts like Delicious to a Yahoo account, but still have separate log in screens, usernames and passwords. In my experience the multiple account thing has been one of the biggest barriers to learning these new tools.

How can we use delicious? I'd like to have an account that could be active on our public service computers so that bookmarks did not have to be added separately to each computer and so that they would be consistently labeled and organized.

However, I've given up using it personally. I've just found using the service to be too frustrating. One of our IT guys came to fix my computer yesterday while I was in the middle of trying to set up the Delicious account and suggested I try Google Bookmarks instead. I think I'll give it a try.

There's lots of potential for students to collaborate on group projects with Delicious. Just like with a Wiki it would cut back on a lot of email back and forth. I like the idea other people are floating about adding the toolbar to our public computers. I may be adding this to my database and research talks.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I use delicious, but apparently I got in before I was forced to use a Yahoo! login (didn't know what everyone was complaining about). Anyhoo, for my personal bookmarking, I use Google Bookmarks. I never leave home without it (literally). It does require a download (unlike delicious), and it's linked to your Google account (so not shareable), but I <3 the Google Toolbar. Go for it!

Kristen - 2ndgenlibrarian said...

Gabrielle, thanks for the info on Google Bookmarks. It turns out there are a couple of ways to share Google Bookmarks. One is to simply make the list public, but there's also a share option. And now that Google supports multiple account log ons we can have a shared log on for work stuff while not giving up access to personal accounts at the same time.
I really can't wait to phase some of these tools into my department.